Obi-Wan's departure

Why: In the original script, there is more dialogue between Anakin and Obi-Wan before Obi-Wan departs for Utapau. I really liked the dialogue when I first read the script and was disappointed that it was not inserted into the film. It could be debated that there’s no need for two “humorous” scenes like this, the other being in front of the shuttle as they arrived on Coruscant, and that it might even be too much. I personally think that another one is needed because it would give a lot more humanity to both Anakin and Obi-Wan and it would make Anakin’s conversion to the dark side all that more tragic, showing how their last meeting was as good friends sharing a laugh. It would also give real meaning to what Obi-Wan says to Luke in ANH, “And he was a good friend,” while remembering a happy memory. This could be the one.

How: First, I would change the lines “I have trained you since you were a small boy, I have taught you everything I know. And you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be,” to , “I have trained you since you were a small boy and have taught you everything I know, and yet you have become a far greater Jedi than I could ever hope to be.” I makes more sense like that because the part about him training him since he was a small boy is totally unnecessary unless it’s part of a larger phrase. This just needs a simple dub.

Here are lines from the script that I would like to see inserted into the film if they were filmed:
OBI-WAN starts down the ramp, then turns back.

OBI-WAN: (continuing) Don't worry. I have enough clones with me to take three systems the size of Utapau. I think I'll be able to handle the situation…even without your help.

ANAKIN: Well, there's always a first time.

OBI-WAN laughs.

ANAKIN: Obi-Wan, may the Force be with you.

OBI-WAN: Good-bye, old friend. May the Force be with you.

OBI-WAN heads down a ramp toward the waiting Republic cruiser.
I also liked the smile that Anakin has on his face when Obi-Wan is leaving, kind of like he’s telling himself that they’re actually fixing up any rough spots they might have had. But I didn’t like how this smile turned really serious and the music became all dark. I think it would have been a lot more powerful if the last thing we see is Anakin smiling, and have the music more vibrant and spectacular as the ship is taking off.

No comments:

Post a Comment