Discovering the Sith Lord

Why: The dialogue when Anakin finds out the Palpatine is a Sith Lord isn’t all that great because most of the things Palpatine says don’t flow or follow any pattern at all. This may be because Palpatine gets desperate after Anakin ignites his lightsaber, but there’s a lot of stuff he says before that that also doesn’t flow like, “If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force,” followed by, “Be careful of the Jedi, Anakin,” which, in turn, is followed by, “Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi.” Those three sentences have nothing to do with each other yet they follow each other in sequence. Things like this need to be eliminated so that the conversation can make more sense.

How: The dialogue could be slightly modified to go something like this:
PALPATINE: Anakin, if one is to understand the great mystery, one must study all its aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader, you must embrace a larger view of the Force, something the Jedi will never allow you to do, Anakin. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn to know the dark side of the Force and you will be able to save your wife from certain death.

ANAKIN: What did you say?

PALPATINE: Use my knowledge, I beg you…

ANAKIN: You're the Sith Lord!

ANAKIN ignites his lightsaber.

PALPATINE: I know what has been troubling you…I’ve felt it. You must listen to me!

ANAKIN: How could I have been so blind? You were the real threat this whole time. The Jedi were right to suspect you.

PALPATINE: Don't continue to be a pawn of the Jedi Council! Ever since I've known you, you've been searching for a life greater than that of an ordinary Jedi…a life of more significance.

ANAKIN: You're wrong!

PALPATINE: Are you going to kill me?

ANAKIN: I would certainly like to.

PALPATINE: You fear me, don’t you? I can feel your anger. It gives you focus, makes you stronger.

ANAKIN raises his lightsaber to PALPATINE's throat. PALPATINE turns to face ANAKIN.

PALPATINE: You have nothing to fear from me, Anakin. I only want to help you…because you are like my son.

There is a tense moment, then ANAKIN relaxes, and then turns off his lightsaber.

ANAKIN: I am going to turn you over to the Jedi Council.

PALPATINE: Of course you should. But you're not sure of their intentions, are you?

ANAKIN: I will quickly discover the truth of all this.

PALPATINE: You have great wisdom, Anakin. Know the power of the dark side; the power to save Padmé.

No comments:

Post a Comment