Anakin joins the Sith!

Why: Just after Mace gets thrown out of the window, we have the conversation that supposedly explains why Anakin joins the Sith. Unfortunately, by this time, Anakin should be well aware that it was Palpatine who orchestrated the whole clone war as the Sith were the leaders on both sides. This would mean that he was against the Republic, thus making Palpatine the traitor, not the Jedi. Anakin knew well that Mace Windu and the other Jedi attacked Palpatine because he was a Sith and not as a move against the Republic. This would mean that any conversation regarding the Jedi plot should automatically be disregarded by Anakin. The only thing that would make the whole thing make sense is if Anakin knows and is putting up with all of these lies just to become more powerful, powerful enough to overthrow Palpatine and become the leader of the new Empire.

I think this is the point that the movie is trying to show, but to me it doesn’t make it very clear. We only find out at the end when he refers to the Empire as his empire, and when he tells Padmé that he could overthrow the Emperor and rule the galaxy. However, while he was saying this, I got the feeling that he was just making it up as he went along, and that it wasn’t like a fixed plan in his mind.

If the movie shows more evidence that this was his plan from the beginning, that he’s not as naïve as he appears to be, I think it would help the story significantly.

There should also be more conversation on how the Sith are better and more powerful than the Jedi, and how their rule would be better for the galaxy. We could have Sidious elaborate on the old days of when the Sith ruled, thus justifying the line, “Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace,” which sounded nice but a bit strange since Anakin was a Jedi just a few seconds before.

I personally didn’t think the whole part of Anakin pledging his life to Sidious and him giving Anakin a new name was any good. It’s really far from what I expected out of Star Wars, and I don’t think it’s up to the usual Star Wars standard at all. I especially don’t get what was up with Palpatine’s new voice and the weird noises he was making. He sounded like he had indigestion or something.

Now, I’m going to be honest, I didn’t want Vader’s identity to be so obviously presented to the audience, and I still don’t, that’s why from now on I’m going to mention things that can be done to make his identity more of a mystery. The ideas regarding Vader’s identity will be a different color than the other changes and will go parallel with the regular changes. Like this, I’ll try to make it work both ways. For Vader’s identity to be a secret though, all references to Darth Vader in the movie have to be replaced with substitutes.

How:
ANAKIN: What have I done?!

PALPATINE: You’re fulfilling your destiny, Anakin. Become my apprentice; learn to use the dark side of the Force.

ANAKIN: Just help me save Padmé’s life and I will do whatever you ask.

PALPATINE: To cheat death requires for one to be perfectly in tune with the dark side. This can only be achieved through the teachings of the Sith.

ANAKIN: Then I pledge myself to your teachings.

PALPATINE: Good. For a long time have I sensed in you great power, and now you will finally be able to use it to its fullest. You will become one of the most powerful Sith to ever exist. (You will be my new apprentice/I give you the name of Darth Vader), and henceforth you will call me master.

ANAKIN: Thank you, my master.

PALPATINE: Now rise…we have political matters to discuss.

Cut to Yoda on Kashyyyk can be placed here.

PALPATINE: The galaxy was not always in the state that it is now…corrupt and weak. During the Golden Age when the Sith ruled there was total stability and total security. Winning this war will give us the power to make it that way once again.

ANAKIN: The Jedi will never understand this. IDEAS NEEDED

PALPATINE: When the Jedi learn what has transpired here they will kill us, that is why we must make the first strike. Every single Jedi, including your friend Obi-Wan Kenobi, is now our enemy…and therefore an enemy of the Republic.

ANAKIN: I understand, master.

PALPATINE: The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end. First, I want you to go to the Jedi temple. We will catch them off balance. Take all the clones you’ll need, they will obey your command.

ANAKIN: I don’t know if I’m ready for this task…

PALPATINE: Do what must be done. The more you tap into the dark side, the more your power will grow. Only with that power will you be able to save Padmé.

ANAKIN: Yes, master.

PALPATINE: After you’ve killed all the Jedi in the temple, go to the Mustafar system. Wipe out Viceroy Gunray and the other separatist leaders hiding there. It’s time to end this war. Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy…and we shall have peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment