Episode I: The Phantom Menace
- A new blurring effect is used when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan use Force Speed to escape the droidekas
My opinion: totally unnecessary. It looked just fine before, maybe even better than it does now.
- The medium shot of Nute Gunray and Rune Haako observing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping the droidekas has been replaced with a long shot
My opinion: I don't disagree, but it wasn't something that we needed to see changed.
- After Queen Amidala calls for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vallorum, the chant "Vote now!" can no longer be heard in the Senate chamber.
My opinion: Whether or not others in the Senate were also eager to replace Valorum isn't something that the audience was made very aware of, and is IMO irrelevant. I'm completely indifferent about this change.
- In a scene with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin's fate on Coruscant, the sun has brightened from orange to white
My opinion: Never really noticed it before... (!!!), but I like it.
- All scenes with Yoda depicted by a puppet have been replaced with a CG model
My opinion: Yes!! We asked for this, and we got it, and I must say I like it. But being the picky fan that I am, I do feel that the CGI version didn't fit into the surroundings as much as it could have, there is one shot where everyone's faces are blurry but Yoda's is crystal sharp. I liked all his facial expressions, they were WAY better than the puppet, but I didn't like the facial expression at the parade at the end, he looked too gloomy for a joyous occasion, even the puppet was smiling.
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
- During the night chase on Coruscant the dialogue and speeder scene are slightly rearranged when Anakin and Obi-Wan pass through the power couplings
My opinion: Better, but not quite there yet...
- During Anakin's nightmare scene, a voiceover of his mother Shmi has been added.
My opinion: I love it!! Glad they listened to reason.
- After Yoda saves Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku's falling pillar, the reaction shots of Yoda and then Anakin and Obi-Wan are moved up before the shots of Dooku escaping on his ship and Padme and the clonetroopers arriving and firing at him.
My opinion: I didn't think this was possible, but that change made AOTC even worse. Perhaps they had this change in mind, but that wasn't the way to go about it. After Dooku takes off does look at bit better, but them completely freezing while Dooku's ship is still there is ridiculous. They should have just deleted those shots instead of moving them.
- The scene transition from Padme's ship to Anakin on Mustafar has been changed from a straight cut back to a wipe, restoring the original theatrical release.
My opinion: Never noticed it, but... cool. Goes without saying though.
- Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call has once again been changed.
My opinion: Well it is a bit better than the last one, I like the echo effect that goes with the canyons, but I don't get why they changed it from the original in the first place.
- In the scene where Obi-Wan discovers R2 hiding in an alcove, rocks have been digitally inserted into the frame to hide the droid.
My opinion: Completely pointless, and it creates a continuity error.
- The shot of Han and Greedo firing at each other has been shortened by several frames from the 2004 DVD version.
My opinion: It looks slightly better, but that's not the point.
- Luke's green lightsaber aboard the Millennium Falcon from the 2004 DVD has been corrected and is now blue.
My opinion: Blue? You call that blue? Really...
- The audio errors during the Battle of Yavin in the 2004 DVD have been corrected.
My opinion: Naturally these types of errors should be fixed without saying.
- In the shot when the wampa mauls Luke's tauntaun, the puppeteer's arm can no longer be seen.
My opinion: Another error that should be fixed without saying.
- In an exterior shot of Cloud City featuring Leia waiting for Han in her apartment, a reflection can now be seen in Leia's window.
My opinion: It does add a bit more realism, so I'm all for it.
- A static long shot of R2D2 and C3PO approaching the door to Jabba's palace has been replaced with an extreme long shot revealing more of the door, as the camera zooms in on the droids.
My opinion: Not bad but it's not something that was desperately needed... If I died and never saw that, I wouldn't have missed anything.
- There are now brighter flashes of light when Han is released from the carbonite.
My opinion: I have to say I like it, it improves the effect, but not greatly.
- A CG Dug has been added to the scene in Jabba's palace which features sleeping partygoers.
My opinion: Not bad... but it could have been more subtle.
- A new closeup shot of Han striking Boba Fett's jetpack has been added.
My opinion: A lot more work needs to be done to that whole segment... this barely counts as an improvement.
- Wicket's eyes now have CG eyelids, allowing him to blink.
My opinion: We didn't lose anything and we gained very little. It's almost completely irrelevant compared to changes that need to be done, but I'm not against it.
- When R2-D2 is shot by a stormtrooper, additional CG gadgets fly out of his body as he malfunctions.
My opinion: Not bad, I like it. What is even more impressive is that they didn't screw it up by making him all destroyed in one scene and fixed up in the next... now that is a miracle.
- The lightsaber errors from the 2004 DVD have been corrected and Luke and Darth Vader's lightsabers now have white cores.
My opinion: Another change that goes without saying. Lightsabers going through each other, my God...
- Darth Vader now says "No" while Luke is tortured by the Emperor's Force Lightning attack, and then screams "Nooooo!" as he picks Palpatine up and hurls him into the Death Star's reactor core.
My opinion: The short version. No. No!! The long version... just what the hell was Lucas thinking?! Taking one of the most significant scenes in the whole Star Wars saga and adding Vader talking to himself? Not only does it look and sound completely unnatural, it ruins the whole mood of that scene. I think Lucas has completely lost it... but watch it and decide for yourself.